WHY WE INVESTED
GEF invests in and partners with the Miguel Angel Asturias Academy because we see it as a transformative alternative to the public educational system in Guatemala, serving disadvantaged students such as those from poor indigenous families. Asturias is focused on creating informed, critical thinking, socially conscious citizens that emerge as empowered and engaged individuals and ultimately leaders in their communities. GEF agrees full with the Academy teachers and leadership that this type of education is vital for children and youth in Guatemala now and into the future.
GEF also supports Asturias because of their determination to become a self-sustainable organization. They are doing this through their innovative edu-tourism program that is bringing resources into the school’s endowment. GEF is also excited about the founder’s plans for replication in the future.
IMPACT TO DATE
A study done in 2015-2016 of all high school graduates from the Miguel Angel Asturias Academy to date indicates the following:
At the student level
- There is a 100% graduation rate of students.
- 95% of the alumni were 1st generation learners which underlines their aim to target students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- 77% have continued onto university much higher than the national average.
- 89% of Asturias graduates are working and most use part of their income to support their own continued university studies and assist their families. An encouraging 26% had started their own business.
At the school level
- No repetition of students at the primary level
- At the middle and secondary school level passing rates were 71% for boys and 95% for girls compared to half or less of this when compared to national averages. Although some students may repeat a grade, all graduation-aged students who have enrolled at Asturias have graduated.
GEF support in 2015-2016 enabled the first review and tracking of the Academy’s graduates by a local Guatemalan evaluation expert and provided assistance with grant writing expertise in 2015.
OUR FUNDING IMPACT
GEF has funded in-service training for teachers and contributed to selected teachers’ salaries, allowing for the Academy to invest a portion of students fees into the institutions endowment fund. GEF has also supported early planning for a potential Academy in a new location.
GEF helped to bring Jorge Chojolan, Founder and Director of Asturias Academy to the Conference on World Affairs in Boulder, CO. During his week in Boulder, Jorge gave presentations at the Conference and made new connections with individuals and organizations.