Partner since 2015
Investment to date: $15,000
Students in 2016: 825
Cumulative Students: 825
Guru-G Learning Labs is a start-up based in Bangalore, India and focused on education solutions that impact learning outcomes and other critical issues facing students, schools and the education sector, particularly those in rural and marginalized areas.
Guru-G aims to ensure every child has access to inspired educators. They are focused on empowering teachers to deliver an engaging learning experience for students that will lead to positive student outcomes. Guru-G does this through the use of an intelligent assistant (their app) that is loaded with guided lesson plans. The platform is delivered through handheld devices and encourages teachers to use a range of teaching and learning strategies in their daily instruction. It includes short videos that demonstrate different techniques and facilitates regular self-assessment by the teachers.
The Guru-G app addresses the persistent problem of irregular/non-existent, poor quality and costly teacher in-service training and in-classroom support – particularly for teachers serving in schools in more remote rural areas. Working in collaboration with local schools, education officials and NGOs involved in education, Guru-G developed and tested their app drawing on existing curriculum and lessons from proven teaching and learning strategies, other education experts as well as their own in-house expertise. The app has been used in low-cost private and government schools, and adjustments and refinements continue to be made based on regular teacher feedback. Guru-G currently works with over 400 schools across 7 states in India. In 2015, Guru-G began to create additional content for supplementary programs. The first - SuperTeens - aims to empower girls.
SUPERTEENS CURRICULUM INCLUDES
- Awareness about basic issues and best practices related to nutrition, hygiene, healthcare and human development;
- Awareness about the benefits of education and increasing motivation towards continuing;
- Fostering skills and confidence to manage social pressures;
- Creating a sense of identity among participants about their place in the community and becoming change makers;
EXPECTED STUDENT OUTCOMES
- Increased understanding and acceptance of the various physical and psycho-social changes and development during adolescence;
- Adoption of healthy hygienic practices;
- Improved ability to reflect on and make informed choices affecting their lives and relationships with peers and family;
- Becoming active participants in their community working towards positive changes;